Sunday, October 14, 2012

Introduction

I grew up in Southern Florida. A small town, but not too small. I always had my head in the clouds and my feet in the sand. Florida's a great state, but it has its bad points. Snow birds, elderly drivers who can't reach the gas pedal, sunburns, sweat stains, etcetera. Now that I think about it, all that stuff makes Florida more interesting. 

Anyway, after living there for 20 years, I moved to Maine. First for a job, but now I find that I have a small family here. It mostly consists of my boyfriend, my cat Whisper, and his two dogs Liquor and Blue. So...now I'm ensconced. In Northern Maine. Where there's snow, and lots of it. 

Life here is so much different than it is in the south. People are...well, really different. There's different slang, terminology, culture, thought processes. Since I now reside in such a small town, everyone and no one knows who I am. They know me as 'the girl from away'. And reader, anyone who isn't from here is from away. An instant outsider. 

I feel like an investigative reporter. Jotting down notes on this strange and perhaps primitive culture. "See how they all flock to the truck pulls!" and "Carhart clothing seems to be a status symbol here in the North, and Hollister jeans instantly make teenage girls into leaders of the pack." Well, I guess it sounded funnier in my head. 

Life is so curious here. Immensely opposite to what I am used to. But that's what makes it fun.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog community - I look forward to reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete